Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Installing the brass ball valve, "T" splitter, and reducers

The brass ball valve is the ultimate safety shut off valve. In case something goes wrong (hose burst, bag rupture, who knows???) you can shut off the entire system with the turn of one valve. This valve needs to be brass or bronze so it won’t fail like PVC could. The ball valve is 1 1/4 and screws directly onto the threads of the thru-hull scupper. I used Teflon tape to get a good seal and screwed it on good and tight. Make sure the shut off handle has clearance to open and close the valve without hitting anything. This valve should be located in an easily accessible place in case of emergency.

The brass ball valve in place














Once the ball valve is in place use a 1 1/4 inch threaded to slip connector and screw the threaded end onto the brass ball valve. Use teflon tape on all your threaded fittings. Then cement (PVC cement) in a section of 1 1/4 inch PVC. I put about a 1 foot length on initially and then cut it down to size once I figured out how high up off the floor I wanted the "T" to be. I used the pumps height to decide the height of my "T". Cut the piece of PVC to length and cement on the 1 1/4 inch "T" making sure it is aligned correctly. Next cement in the 1 1/4 inch slip to threaded reducers (these reduce the "T" down to a 1" female thread). I then screw in the 1 " threaded hose barb connectors using Teflon tape.

The ball valve, 1 1/4 inch PVC, PVC "T", thread reducers, and hose barbs in place


3 comments:

  1. I am unable to read articles online very often, but I’m glad I did today. This is very well written and your points are well-expressed. Please, don’t ever stop writing. ball valve manufacturer usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. Anix USA

    ReplyDelete